HOW TO: Take the Stress out of Packing- PLUS a FREE Packing List!
Having a vacation to look forward to is one of the greatest feelings. As my friends and family know, I love planning (have you checked out arranged by raychh yet?) - so that part of the preparation doesn’t scare me. While planning is fun for me, the part that is definitely not my favorite - is packing. I’m notorious for waiting until the last minute to start packing, but luckily, I’ve got a system down that helps takes the stress out of it, and actually makes me look forward to my trip even more! Here are my tips for making packing for a vacation less daunting:
1. Do the laundry. There’s nothing worse than finally getting into the mindset of packing, only to realize that something that I really want to wear on my trip is buried underneath a pile of dirty laundry. Making sure that I do the laundry at least a day before I plan to pack helps me avoid staying up super late waiting for clothes to dry so I can finish packing.
2. Make an outline of my trip on my phone. For me, one of the hardest parts of packing is actually getting started. A trick that I use to help make the idea of packing more palatable is to make an outline of my trip on the Notes app on my phone and lay out what kind and how many outfits I need for each day. For example, for my recent trip to Breckenridge (which I vlogged), I knew that on the Saturday of my trip I would need two outfits - one for snowboarding and one for dinner. Listing out how many outfits I need helps put what I truly need to pack in perspective and keeps me from over-packing.
3. Try on every outfit from head to toe. This part of my packing journey is the most important to me. It can be the most fun but also the most exhausting at the same time! I start trying on outfits to fill out the outline on my phone (including travel outfits!). I put on shoes and accessories too! This helps keep me from over-packing, but also makes sure that I don’t get to my destination and realize that something I planned to wear actually looks terrible or doesn’t fit properly. Once I have a winning outfit, I’ll type out the components of my outfit in my outline. Depending on the trip, I’ll sometimes take pictures in my outfits and put photos on my outline instead!
4. Use a packing list! This is key for me to not forget all of the other things that I need to bring outside of clothes. For you, my lovely readers, I put together a free packing list that you can use for your future trips! Click here to get your FREE packing list!
5. Use packing cubes. If you haven’t heard of packing cubes, they are a game-changer when it comes to packing. Packing cubes like these allow me to fit way more clothes into my suitcase while taking up much less space! I like to roll each of my clothing items and put them in a cube; however, this time I tried the infamous Konmari method and I LOVED it.
6. Pack my skincare and makeup items in the order that I put them on. I used to be notorious for forgetting toiletries and makeup (please see #4 to combat this). One trick that I started using that helped was mentally going through my skincare and makeup routines and packing my items in order. For example - every night i wash my face with cleanser, then toner, then.. (wait! I posted my full skincare routine here!) - and so on and so forth, and that’s how I pack those items!
I hope you find these packing tips helpful! Do you have any packing tips you would like to share? Sound off in the comments!